January 11 ,2024 (SAN ANTONIO) – Today, San Antonio City Council voted to reappoint Janie Gonzalez for a second term on the CPS Energy Board of Trustees. Trustee Gonzalez began her first five-year term on the board in February 2019 and was appointed to Board Chair in February of 2023. The City Council vote follows a vote from the CPS Energy Board of Trustees that took place in October of 2023.
Trustee Gonzalez is President & CEO of Webhead, a company leading digital transformation and focusing on AI, Quantum Technology, and Cyber Security. As CPS Energy Board Chair, she currently serves as the Chair of CPS Energy’s Audit & Finance Committee, Employee Benefits Oversight Committee, Technology and Resilience Committee, and the Personnel Committee.
“I am energized by the support from our regulator, the City of San Antonio, for my continued role on the CPS Energy Board of Trustees,” declared Board Chair, Janie Gonzalez. “I am thrilled with the milestones CPS Energy has reached and am enthusiastic about leading more groundbreaking efforts in serving our community. As Board Chair, I am committed to navigating the company through an ambitious era of energy and technological evolution.”
Since her tenure on the CPS Energy Board, Trustee Gonzalez has contributed to several large company initiatives including:
- Supporting a resolution on generation planning to explore lower emission alternatives while maintaining reliability and affordability.
- Supporting the appointment of Dr. Francine Romero to the Board of Trustees in 2022.
- Encouraging the creation of Vision 2027 and leading the Board during management’s execution of the plan.
- Establishing quarterly Board of Trustees public input meetings held in the evening to further increase participation and collaboration.
- Supporting the formation of the 2023 Rate Request Community Input Working Group.
- Assisting in updating Metrics to measure the success of how the company serves our community.
- Advocating for CPS Energy’s technological transformation, including the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) initiative.
- Voting in support of a 3.85% rate increase request in 2022, the first in eight years.
- Supporting a resolution to implement management’s plan to mitigate customer debt, resulting in a $36 million reduction in past-due customer account balances.
- Playing a role in the successful completion of the FlexPOWER Bundle, adding renewable and natural gas power sources.
- Supporting the updated Sustainable Tomorrow Energy Plan (STEP) with equity-focused programs.
About CPS Energy
Established in 1860, CPS Energy is the nation’s largest community-owned provider of electric and natural gas services. We provide safe, reliable, and competitively priced services to 907,526 electric and 373,998 natural gas customers in San Antonio and portions of seven adjoining counties. Our customers’ combined energy bills rank among the lowest of the nation’s 20 largest cities while generating $9 billion in revenue for the City of San Antonio over the last 80 years. Our Vision 2027 strategic plan is designed to guide CPS Energy through rapid transformational change in our city. As a trusted and reliable community partner, we continuously focus on job creation, economic development, and educational investment. We are powered by our skilled workforce, whose commitment to the community is demonstrated through our employees’ volunteerism, our community engagement efforts and programs aimed at bringing value and assistance to our customers.