October 31, 2023 (SAN ANTONIO) – Today, the CPS Energy Board of Trustees voted to reappoint Janie Martinez Gonzalez for a second term on the Board. Trustee Gonzalez began her first five-year term on the Board in February 2019 and was appointed to Board Chair in February of 2023. Chair Gonzalez’s nomination will go to City Council for approval in the coming months.
Trustee Gonzalez is President & CEO of Webhead, a company specializing in providing cybersecurity solutions to clients across the nation. She currently serves as the Chair of the Audit & Finance Committee, Employee Benefits Oversight Committee, Technology and Resilience Committee, Personnel Committee and the Technology and Resiliency Committee.
“I am deeply honored by the decision of the CPS Energy Board of Trustees on my reappointment of another term,” said Board Chair, Janie Gonzalez. “I accept their reappointment with gratitude and humility. It is a huge privilege to serve on the CPS Energy Board of Trustees and I sincerely thank them for their trust and confidence. “
Since her tenure on the CPS Energy Board, Trustee Gonzalez has contributed to a number of large company initiatives including:
- Supporting a resolution on generation planning to explore lower emission alternatives while maintaining reliability.
- Supporting the appointment of Dr. Francine Romero to the Board of Trustees in 2022.
- Encouraging the creation of Vision 2027 and leading the Board during management’s execution of the plan.
- Establishing quarterly Board of Trustees public input meetings in evening to further accommodate working families, increase participation, and collaboration.
- Supporting the formation of the 2023 Rate Request Community Input Working Group.
- Assisting in updating the CEO scorecard and Board and Enterprise Metrics.
- Advocating for CPS Energy’s technological transformation, including the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) initiative.
- Voting in support of a 3.85% rate increase request in 2022, the first in eight years.
- Supporting a resolution to implement management’s plan to mitigate customer debt, resulting in a $36 million reduction in past-due customer account balances.
- Playing a role in the successful completion of the FlexPOWER Bundle, adding renewable and natural gas power sources.
- Supporting the updated Sustainable for Tomorrow Energy Plan (STEP) with equity-focused programs.
The Board consists of four citizens residing in each of the four geographical quadrants within Bexar County as well as the Mayor of San Antonio, who serves as an ex-officio member and represents City Council. Other Board members include Vice-Chair Dr. Francine Romero, Trustee John Steen, and Trustee Dr. Willis Mackey.
The CPS Energy Board of Trustees generally meet on the last Monday of each month at 1:00 p.m. Community members are welcome to address the Board on agenized items during the Public Comment portion of Board meetings or at quarterly public input sessions. Community members can register to speak by calling (210) 353-4662 or by email at [email protected] .
About CPS Energy
Established in 1860, CPS Energy is the nation’s largest public power, natural gas, and electric company, providing safe, reliable, and competitively-priced service to more than 930,114 electric and 381,379 natural gas customers in San Antonio and portions of seven adjoining counties. Our customers’ combined energy bills rank among the lowest of the nation’s 20 largest cities – while generating $9 billion in revenue for the City of San Antonio for 80 years. As a trusted and strong community partner, we continuously focus on job creation, economic development, and educational investment. We are powered by our skilled workforce, whose commitment to the community is demonstrated through our employees’ volunteerism in giving back to our city and programs aimed at bringing value to our customers. CPS Energy is among the top public power wind energy buyers in the nation and number one in Texas for solar generation.