Simple tips can save energy and manage bills during freezing temperatures over the holiday weekend.
December 23, 2022 (SAN ANTONIO) — CPS Energy is encouraging customers to voluntarily conserve energy to better manage their energy bills as the arctic cold front continues to hover over Greater San Antonio and most of the state. Overnight lows will remain below or near freezing through Monday morning.
Customers are reminded of CPS Energy’s color-coded conservation notification program and its energy-saving tips. Today through Sunday are designated as a Yellow Day.
In recognition of the holiday weekend, including family gatherings and cooking festivities, CPS Energy advises customers of the following money-saving conservation tips:
- Keep the thermostat at 68 degrees, lower if away from home. Do NOT lower the thermostat below 60 degrees or turn the heating off to protect water pipes from freezing.
- Consider tightly managing the use of large appliances like the oven and dishwasher during cooking and post-holiday meal clean up.
- Do NOT use gas ovens or stovetops to heat the home.
- Electric-only homes with strip heating use more demand than electric/natural gas combination homes. Managing the use of heating in electric-only homes is critical for managing energy bills.
- Postpone using the washer and dryer until the weather warms up and heating needs are minimized.
- Charge Electric Vehicles (EVs) during the day to avoid the high demand period during overnight freezes.
- Check to make sure ceiling fans are running clockwise to push heat down into the room.
- Continue everyday conservation measures.
For more winter energy-saving tips, visit cpsenergy.com/tips. CPS Energy will continue to share assistance resources for customers who need help paying their energy bills. Customers can make payment arrangements online through Manage My Account or call (210) 353-2222 during normal business hours for bill assistance or payment arrangements.
About CPS Energy
Established in 1860, CPS Energy is the nation’s largest public power, natural gas, and electric company, providing safe, reliable, and competitively-priced service to more than 907,526 electric and 373,998 natural gas customers in San Antonio and portions of seven adjoining counties. Our customers’ combined energy bills rank among the lowest of the nation’s 20 largest cities – while generating $9 billion in revenue for the City of San Antonio for 80 years. As a trusted and strong community partner, we continuously focus on job creation, economic development, and educational investment. We are powered by our skilled workforce, whose commitment to the community is demonstrated through our employees’ volunteerism in giving back to our city and programs aimed at bringing value to our customers. CPS Energy is among the top public power wind energy buyers in the nation and number one in Texas for solar generation.