As an Arctic cold front pushes through the San Antonio region today dropping temperatures into the upper 20s and low 30s, CPS Energy wants to help customers stay warm and safe while keeping their heating costs manageable.
Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association, which found space heaters to be the cause of 40 percent of home heating fires. Customers should keep these safety tips in mind:
- Turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Keep bedding, clothes, draperies, rugs and any flammable items at least three feet from portable space heaters. Children and pets also should be kept at least three feet away from heaters or open fires.
- Never use an oven to heat a home.
- Replace appliances with frayed, cracked or exposed wiring, or have them repaired by a qualified contractor.
Staying warm does not have to be expensive. With some simple steps, customers can keep their bills in check and stay cozy.
- Bundle up:Wearing warm, comfortable clothing is the easiest and least expensive way to stay warm indoors.
- Replace dirty filters in heating units:Replacing dirty filters monthly can reduce energy consumption and save money. A dirty filter will slow down airflow and make the system work harder.
- Reverse the direction of ceiling fans:Run ceiling fans in reverse to push hot air down.
- Close curtains: Close curtains and lower blinds to prevent heat from escaping. This will provide an extra barrier to heat loss and helps add insulation and reduce drafts.
- Fireplace:If it’s not properly designed, a fireplace can pull cold air into the home along the floor and make the room cold. Many newer fireplaces are made with vents to provide fresh cool air and give off warmed air. Glass panels on the fireplace can be effective.
- Caulk around windows and doors:Sealing air leaks around doors, windows and exterior wall outlets will keep the heat in.
- Install a programmable thermostat:With a programmable thermostat, adjust the temperature setting conveniently from anywhere. Turn off, on and adjust as desired and lower energy use when away from home. Through My Thermostat Rewards Program, customers can receive a free, installed programmable thermostat ($300 value) from CPS Energy, or receive a bill credit for purchasing and installing a qualified Wi-Fi model. Visit the CPS Energy website for more information on My Thermostat Rewards.