We love this time of the year. It’s the season to eat, drink and be merry. A time filled with parties, delicious food, and beautiful decorations all while being surrounded by loved ones. It is also the season of giving, and a time of year that is expensive.
The holiday season is exciting, but it is easy to blow the budget on gifts, holiday travel, meals and even on energy bills by brightening the season with beautiful light displays. But with a little planning, you can make it through the season without overspending.
Before you exceed your energy budget, grab a glass of eggnog and spend a few minutes in the My Energy Portal tool on Manage My Account. My Energy Portal offers you valuable features to help you save energy, lower your bills, and budget better.
Saving money over the holiday season is easier than you may think. With My Energy Portal, you can access more than 150 energy efficiency tips, set up your own customized energy savings plan, get a detailed breakdown of the energy you use and view the energy you buy at any time during the month.
Access these insights on your tablet, smartphone, laptop or desktop from anywhere and anytime. Also follow these simple tips and put a little more jingle back in your stocking.
- Set your thermostat between 68 and 70 degrees while at home. Use a programmable thermostat and set it at a lower temperature while away from home. Program it to a comfortable temperature when you return. Learn how you can easily earn a $150 bill credit with My Thermostat Rewards.
- Bundle up with blankets and warm clothing to keep comfortable. Dress in layers so you are able to turn down the thermostat a few degrees.
- Let the sunshine in by opening curtains and blinds during the day to warm your home. At night, close them to keep the heat in.
- Take shorter showers. Reduce water heating by cutting your shower time and save money.
- Turn off lights and lamps if you leave the room and set lighted holiday displays on a timer. Unplug appliances that are not used regularly.
Energy use can be high during the holidays. Making a few simple adjustments to your energy habits will help you spread more holiday cheer by saving on your energy bill.