(San Antonio, TX) – Local public school students are getting ready to head back to classes, and so are CPS Energy Reading Buddies. Since 2010, CPS Energy employees have been participating in the San Antonio Youth Literacy’s Reading Buddy program and have significantly improved the reading levels of students in our community. The program pairs a volunteer mentor with a second grader who is reading below grade level.
- During the 2012-2013 school year, 56 CPS Energy volunteers read with their buddy just 30 minutes a week and improved their reading skills by an average of 1.5 grade levels.
- CPS Energy field crews volunteered at Graebner Elementary for the first time during the past school year and provided students with positive adult male role model interaction.
- Volunteers were placed in three participating San Antonio Independent School District schools – Sarah King Elementary, Graebner Elementary and Brewer Elementary.
- CPS Energy employees donated nearly $7,000 that supported a free two-day book fair at Sarah King Elementary School to encourage students to grow their personal libraries.
- CPS Energy’s Board of Trustees will recognize several employee volunteers who participate in the Reading Buddy program at its monthly meeting on Monday, August 26.