A cold front moving into South Texas is expected to bring below freezing weather to Greater San Antonio overnight. CPS Energy reminds customers not to wrap the gas pipe or meter as they take care of pets, plants and pipes during cold weather.
Natural gas does not freeze so it will continue to flow and service to more than 331,000 natural gas customers will not be interrupted by low temperatures. However, wrapping the pipe and meter could prevent meter readers from getting an accurate read and cause a customer’s bill to be estimated.
Customers also are reminded to follow the proper do’s and don’ts for heating safety:
- Check appliances for a blue pilot or burner flame – yellow flame indicates improper combustion and the presence of carbon monoxide
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in sleeping areas and refresh batteries twice a year
- Replace or clean furnace filters monthly, and reinstall furnace filter doors properly
- Leave a window open a couple of inches when using a gas space heater
- Never heat a room with a gas range, oven or clothes dryer
- Never let a car or truck idle in the garage with the garage door closed
For more heating tips, visit cpsenergy.com.