- It’s here! The Black Friday deal worth $150Posted: Nov 23, 2016 6:58am
- CPS Energy extends deadline for Board of Trustees applicationsPosted: Dec 15, 2015 3:07pm
- CPS Energy seeks applications for Board of TrusteesPosted: Dec 3, 2015 1:44pm
From our family to yours: keep safety in mind this holiday season
By Stephannie Bernal on December 12, 2014
‘Tis the season to be jolly! ‘Tis also the season that presents multiple electrical hazards. Stay safe when putting up holiday displays by following safety these tips:
•When decorating your tree or home, select Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) approved holiday lighting sets.
• Do not string more than three sets of lights together, unless they are LEDs, to avoid overloading.
• Examine all cords and sockets for wear before putting electric lights or decorations in place. Discard lights that are broken, have frayed or bare wires, or have loose connections.
• Do not overload electrical outlets.
• Tape cords down to prevent trip hazards; placing cords under a carpet or rug creates a fire risk.
• Connect strings to an extension cord before plugging the cord into an outlet.
• Unplug cords when stringing lights.
• Unplug all light displays before leaving your home and going to sleep.
• Don’t plug electrical toys or appliances into the outlet at the end of a string of lights (the cord isn’t large enough to supply electric current safely to anything other than the lights).
• To prevent accidental shock, keep all sockets on a string of lights filled even though a bulb may be burned out.
• Use caution when touching lights that have been turned on for a while – they may be hot to the touch. Go with LEDs, which don’t become hot.
Wishing you and your family a happy and safe holiday season from CPS Energy!