‘Tis the season to be jolly! ‘Tis also the season that presents multiple electrical hazards. Stay safe when putting up holiday displays by following safety these tips:
•When decorating your tree or home, select Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) approved holiday lighting sets.
• Do not string more than three sets of lights together, unless they are LEDs, to avoid overloading.
• Examine all cords and sockets for wear before putting electric lights or decorations in place. Discard lights that are broken, have frayed or bare wires, or have loose connections.
• Do not overload electrical outlets.
• Tape cords down to prevent trip hazards; placing cords under a carpet or rug creates a fire risk.
• Connect strings to an extension cord before plugging the cord into an outlet.
• Unplug cords when stringing lights.
• Unplug all light displays before leaving your home and going to sleep.
• Don’t plug electrical toys or appliances into the outlet at the end of a string of lights (the cord isn’t large enough to supply electric current safely to anything other than the lights).
• To prevent accidental shock, keep all sockets on a string of lights filled even though a bulb may be burned out.
• Use caution when touching lights that have been turned on for a while – they may be hot to the touch. Go with LEDs, which don’t become hot.
Wishing you and your family a happy and safe holiday season from CPS Energy!