ERCOT REQUESTS STATEWIDE CONSERVATION; CPS ENERGY URGES CUSTOMERS TO CONSERVE ENERGY
San Antonio (June 14, 2021) – CPS Energy residential and business customers along with Texas residents in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) region are encouraged to reduce their electricity use as much as possible today during the peak hours of 2 – 7 p.m. ERCOT issued the call for conservation for today and the rest of the week to help prevent electricity emergencies or the need for rotating outages implemented to protect the electric grid.
“All of our local plants are up and running, and virtually all of them are at full capacity. Our 300,000 customers participating in our Demand Response programs will be called on to reduce their use. We’re asking our other customers to help even further by conserving energy to support the grid,” said Rudy Garza, Chief Customer & Stakeholder Engagement Officer for CPS Energy.
To conserve energy at home, customers are encouraged to:
- Set thermostats 2 to 3 degrees higher from 2 – 7 p.m.; set programmable thermostats to higher temperatures when no one is home. The optimum energy-saving temperature is 78 degrees.
- Avoid using large appliances (i.e. ovens, washing machines, etc.), especially during peak demand hours.
- Use fans to feel 4 to 6 degrees cooler. Remember: fans cool people by moving air across the skin. They don’t cool rooms and should be turned off in empty rooms.
- Set pool pumps to run early morning or overnight; shutoff from 4 – 6 p.m.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
- Close shades and blinds on windows exposed to direct sunlight.
- Charge electric vehicles after 9 p.m.
To increase energy efficiency at work, business customers are encouraged to:
- Minimize the use of lighting and electric equipment as much as possible.
- Consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
Additional conservation tips can be found at:
How to track statewide electricity demand
- View daily peak demand forecast, current load and available generation at http://www.ercot.com.
- Follow ERCOT on Twitter (@ERCOT_ISO) and Facebook (Electric Reliability Council of Texas).
- Sign up for the ERCOT mobile app (available for download at the Apple App Store and Google Play).
- Subscribe to the Emergency Alerts list on http://lists.ercot.com.
Please follow CPS Energy on social media for local updates.
About CPS Energy
Established in 1860, CPS Energy is the nation’s largest public power, natural gas, and electric company, providing safe, reliable, and competitively-priced service to more than 884,811 electric and 366,709 natural gas customers in San Antonio and portions of seven adjoining counties. Our customers’ combined energy bills rank among the lowest of the nation’s 20 largest cities – while generating $8 billion in revenue for the City of San Antonio for more than seven decades. As a trusted and strong community partner, we continuously focus on job creation, economic development, and educational investment. True to our People First philosophy, we are powered by our skilled workforce, whose commitment to the community is demonstrated through our employees’ volunteerism in giving back to our city and programs aimed at bringing value to our customers. CPS Energy is among the top public power wind energy buyers in the nation and number one in Texas for solar generation.