San Antonio, Texas – (August 15, 2019) – CPS Energy residential and business customers along with Texas residents in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) region are encouraged to reduce their electricity use as much as possible today from now until 7 p.m., to help prevent electricity emergencies or the need for rotating outages implemented to protect the electric grid.
To conserve energy at home, customers should:
- Set thermostats 2 to 3 degrees higher, from now until 7:00 p.m.; set programmable thermostats to higher temperatures when no one is home. The optimum energy saving temperature is 78 degrees.
- Use fans to feel 4 to 6 degrees cooler.
- Set pool pumps to run early morning or overnight; shutoff from 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
- Avoid using large appliances (i.e. ovens, washing machines, etc.), especially during peak demand hours.
To also increase energy effectiveness at work, business customers should:
- Minimize the use of electricity lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
Additional conservation tips can be found at:
How to track electricity demand
- View daily peak demand forecast, current load and available generation at http://www.ercot.com.
- Follow ERCOT on Twitter (@ERCOT_ISO) and Facebook (Electric Reliability Council of Texas).
- Sign up for the ERCOT mobile app (available for download at the Apple App Store and Google Play).
- Subscribe to the EmergencyAlerts list on http://lists.ercot.com.
Public Utility Commission of Texas Hotline – 1-888-782-8477
The ERCOT region includes the urban load centers of Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin, as well as most of West Texas, portions of the Panhandle and the Rio Grande Valley. It excludes the El Paso area, Northeast Texas (Longview, Marshall and Texarkana) and Southeast Texas (Beaumont, Port Arthur and The Woodlands). An ERCOT region map is available at: http://www.ercot.com/news/mediakit/maps/index.html.