CPS Energy advises customers to stay vigilant as nationwide scams increase during the holiday season. Listed as one of the 12 Scams of Christmas by the Better Business Bureau, utility scams are on the rise again. Knowing how CPS Energy does business are the first tips to recognizing imposter activity.
CPS Energy employees will:
- NEVER threaten to disconnect service.
- NEVER call customers to request payment by phone.
- Don’t always trust the caller ID. Apps and other tools allow criminals to ID themselves as any business or anyone.
- NEVER ask to enter a customer’s home or business unless the customer initiates a request for service or receives prior notification.
Signs it might be a scam:
- Threatening to cut off power. Scam artists demand quick action as a scare tactic.
- Demand the purchase of a Green Dot, Pay Pal or some other pre-paid card. Once the imposter gets the card’s PIN or security number, it’s like wiring money. The funds cannot be recovered.
- Receive a phone call or approached by someone to talk about the programs we offer, especially solar options. CPS Energy is not soliciting customers for the solar programs. Enrollment is required and can be completed by visiting the Simply Solar web page.
“The scams change frequently, and most recently thieves used highly publicized programs we offer as way to try and dupe our customers,” said Phyllis Batson, vice president of Customer Accounts & Operations. “We often see an increase in fraudulent activity during the holiday season and we urge our customers to be on alert. If you receive a phone call or are approached by someone claiming to be from CPS Energy or with any of our solar partners, always ask for an ID. If you feel like you’re in immediate danger, you should call 911.”
Other fraud protection tips include:
- Looking for vehicles and uniforms with the CPS Energy logo, and employee badges.
- Calling (210) 353-4000 anytime to verify the ID of an employee.
- Using Manage My Account to have online access to the account balance and due date, and to pay the bill directly.
If you believe you have been a victim of fraud, call local law enforcement immediately.
CPS Energy is the nation’s largest municipally owned natural gas and electric company, providing service to 772,000 electric and 337,000 natural gas customers in the Greater San Antonio area. With our AA+ credit rating, one of the best in the industry, we offer best in class reliability and one of the lowest rates among the top 10 largest U.S. cities. We recognize our role as a community partner and are continuously focused on job creation, economic development and educational investment. Powered by our people, our investment in the community is demonstrated through our employees’ generosity in giving $1.1 million to United Way. We are also committed to investing in clean energy, ranking number one in Texas for solar generation and among the top wind energy buyers in the nation. For more information, visit newsroomp.cpsenergy.com.