CPS Energy Reminds Customers of Gas and Heat Safety Tips

01/29/2014

News

As temperatures continue to shift between freezing and normal South Texas weather, CPS Energy reminds customers of the importance of regular maintenance and use of natural gas appliances, and safely heating their homes.

Customers are advised to:

Check gas appliances – water heaters, stoves, furnaces, etc. – at least once a year to ensure they are operating properly.

  • Hire a licensed plumber to disconnect and cap any gas heaters and gas outlets not being used.
  • Leave the home immediately if gas is smelled. Once outside the home, call 911.
  • NOT use a gas stove or oven as a heat source.
  • Open a nearby window at least 1-inch to ventilate the room and lower the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning when using a gas space heater.
  • Ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.

For 24-hour gas and electric emergencies, call CPS Energy at 353-HELP (4357).

Copyright © 2013, CPS Energy. All rights reserved.