News Releases

CPS Energy reminds customers to conserve energy during below freezing winter weather

With the temperatures in San Antonio expected to dip below freezing during the overnight hours for the remainder of this week, CPS Energy is reminding customers to be mindful of their energy use to avoid higher than expected energy bills. For customers with electric heating, the impact of warming their homes can be especially noticeable on their next month’s bill. The higher the thermostat setting, the harder the unit will need to work to maintain the desired temperature setting. Although comfortable, the higher usage due to the weather could lead to sticker shock when billing statements arrive. Monitoring energy use of high demand appliances such as space heaters and electric furnaces can prove to be helpful when it comes to reducing monthly energy bills.

CPS Energy recommends these energy conservation tips, especially during peak demand:

  • Set the thermostat to 68 degrees during day and 65 degrees overnight.
  • Use ceiling fans at lowest setting and in reverse mode to circulate warm air that is trapped near the ceiling.
  • Limit use of appliances with high energy consumption, i.e. washing machines, dryers, dishwashers and water heaters.
  • Turn off electrical appliances and unplug chargers not in use.
  • Turn off portable electrical heaters and lights when not needed or in empty rooms.
  • Layer clothing for extra comfort.
  • Seal any holes or gaps with towels or other material to keep out cold air and prevent heat from escaping. Make long-term repairs as soon as possible. Low-income customers are strongly encouraged to apply for the free Casa Verde weatherization program, which provides attic/wall insulation, sealing, caulking and other energy-saving benefits.

Safety tips:

  • Do not use a natural gas stove as a heat source for your home.
  • Ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
  • If using a natural gas space heater, open a nearby window at least 1-inch to ventilate the room and lower the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • For more tips visit:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *