San Antonio, TX, July 23, 2018 – Despite a forecast of a week of possible triple digit temperatures, CPS Energy is prepared and ready. Proactive maintenance work on its energy production and energy delivery system was completed before summer to ensure our local electric and gas system would be ready to serve our customers during extreme temperatures.
“Our efforts, coupled with our customers’ willingness to conserve, will make the San Antonio community more successful this summer,” said Paula Gold-Williams, President & CEO of CPS Energy.
As part of CPS Energy’s preparedness efforts, the Company completed seasonal preventative measures that included:
- System checks and procedure reviews
- Preventative maintenance on power plants, poles and wires
- Tested programs where residential and business customers participate in voluntary energy use reduction
- Launched the Smart Sniffer vehicle equipped with technology that detects gas leaks
- Increased gas odorization for preventative detection of gas leaks
Energy conservation tips help customers save money
“We are so thankful that our community is doing their part to conserve and encourage everyone to take simple actions to save energy,” Gold-Williams said.
Customers are urged to conserve energy use during the 3 – 7 p.m. timeframe when temperatures are the hottest and energy use is the highest. These tips will help keep energy use low and minimize the impact on energy bills.
- Set thermostats between 78-80 degrees and bump it up a few degrees when away from home.
- Use fans in occupied rooms.
- Turn off all lights and appliances, and unplug electronic equipment when not in use.
- Close blinds and drapes in rooms that get direct sun.
- Discontinue the use of appliances such as the dishwasher, washer and dryer during peak hours.
- Grill outside in the evening instead of using the stove or oven
Additionally, CPS Energy is reminding customers to keep safety in mind and only take energy-saving measures as health permits.
Customers who have a Manage My Account (MMA) profile can see their energy consumption online through our My Energy Portal. Through this portal, customers can access additional energy savings tips and see how changes in the weather impacts their energy use. Customers who have a smart meter, can see their energy usage on a daily basis and in fifteen minute intervals.
About CPS Energy
Established in 1860, CPS Energy is the nation’s largest public power, natural gas and electric company, providing safe, reliable, and competitively-priced service to 804,000 electric and 343,000 natural gas customers in San Antonio and portions of seven adjoining counties. Our customers’ combined energy bills rank among the lowest of the nation’s 20 largest cities – while generating $7 billion in revenue for the City of San Antonio for more than seven decades. As a trusted and strong Community partner, we continuously focus on job creation, economic development and educational investment. True to our People First philosophy, we are powered by our skilled workforce, whose commitment to the community is demonstrated through our employees’ volunteerism in giving back to our city and programs aimed at bringing value to our customers. CPS Energy is among the top public power wind energy buyers in the nation and number one in Texas for solar generation. For more information, visit cpsenergy.com.