National Plug-In Day is a nationwide effort to raise awareness of the widespread availability of plug-in vehicles and highlight their benefits.
CPS Energy has helped make owning a plug-in easier, by installing more than 120 charging stations throughout the Greater San Antonio area. You can find charging stations in grocery stores, movie theaters, hospitals, colleges/universities and in some public parking areas.
Sponsored in part by the Nissan LEAF and Schneider EVlink, the day aims to remind folks that all-electric and plug-in hybrid cars, trucks and motorcycles are fun to drive, more convenient to fuel than gasoline vehicles, roughly around the same cost of a gasoline vehicle, better for the environment, and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
Plug-in drivers are encouraged to participate in the CPS Energy Public Charging Flat Rate Pilot Program offered by CPS Energy. The program is designed to explore the logistics, needs, and value in public charging infrastructure for the community and our customers. The flat rate program is $30 for six months of unlimited charging at any CPS Energy charging station. For more information on the program, please visit our website.
Here are some interesting facts about EVs in our community:
- More than 200 EVs in Bexar County
- Public charging stations around San Antonio have been plugged into – 5,817 times
- Resulting in 4,997 gallons of gasoline saved.
- At $3.20 a gallon = $15,990.40 of savings for EV drivers
- Green house gases saved – 42,469 kg
- CPS Energy currently has 18 hybrid-electric vehicles as part of the fleet.