Patricia Sanders is a mother of four and a grandmother of eight, so keeping her home cool is important for her whole family. Sanders, who frequently watches her grandchildren, was amazed how much Casa Verde made a difference in cutting her energy bill and keeping her home comfortable year round.
Before benefiting from Casa Verde, most of Sanders’ paycheck went toward paying energy bills, which was sometimes as much as $248. Her 100-year-old home lacked insulation and energy-saving measures to help her family escape the summer heat. And, she couldn’t afford improvements to keep her home cool.
“Financially I couldn’t do everything I wanted to do. In the summer it was so hot that I could have the air conditioners on at full blast and I was already dripping.”
Things changed when Sanders got help through our Casa Verde program. Her home received about $5,000 of energy saving improvements for free.
“I asked, ‘are you sure this is free or is it coming out of my bill in payments or something?’ And (CPS Energy) said, ‘no this is all free’. I was freaked out because when they brought me my bill, my bill was $110. I said, ‘Oh my God, I’ve got more money to spend on something else!”
Watch the video to learn more about Patricia’s story:
Could you or a family member be eligible for assistance with Casa Verde or one of our other customer assistance programs? Click here to take an online survey to see if you qualify for Casa Verde or other customer assistance programs.
If you qualify, make plans to join us at one of the upcoming events:
- Thurs., Aug 13, Energy Savings Roadshow, Norris Conference Center, 618 NW Loop 410 #207, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Sat., Aug. 15, Back to School Festival and Community School Celebration, Wheatley Community School, 415 Gabriel St., 9 a.m. – Noon
- Wed., Aug. 19, Energy Savings Roadshow, St. Paul Community Center, 1201 Donaldson Ave., 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Fri., Aug. 21, Omega Psi Phi and Williams Barber College Back to School Event, 520 S. WW White, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Thurs., Aug. 27, Community Programs Fair, Holy Redeemer Church, 1819 Nevada St. *5 p.m.-7 p.m.
- Sat., Aug. 29, Back to School Backpack Giveaway, Meadowcliff Community Center, 1240 Pinn Rd., 9 a.m. – Noon
- Tues., Sept. 8, Energy Savings Roadshow, San Antonio Event Center, 8111 Meadow Leaf Dr., 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Thurs., Sept. 10, Community Programs Fair, Southside High School, 19190 US-281, 5-7 p.m.
- Wed., Sept. 23, Energy Savings Roadshow, Second Baptist Church, 3310 E. Commerce St., 5:30-7:30 p.m.
NOTE: We recommend a thermostat setting of 78-80 degrees during the summer months to save energy and money.
- Years later… resident is still benefiting from CPS Energy’s free Casa Verde program
- Energy assessor hears emotional stories from Casa Verde applicants
- CPS Energy events offer relief from summer heat