Customers Certify 31 Utilities as Environmental Champions
This article appears as originally released by Escalent on April 21, 2020
Utilities have some good news to share on this 50th anniversary of Earth Day: customers are scoring them significantly higher on environmental stewardship. Escalent’s Environmental Dedication Index represents customer ratings on utility efforts to protect the environment. The overall industry index score improved this year, with customers scoring their utilities higher on encouraging “green” initiatives for buildings and vehicles and on supporting environmental causes. The Environmental Dedication Index and other findings are from the Cogent Syndicated Utility Trusted Brand & Customer Engagement™: Residential study from Escalent, a top human behavior and analytics firm.
“With the ever-growing discussion of environmental issues, customers say utilities are responding well through initiatives and programs that help create a cleaner planet,” said Chris Oberle, senior vice president at Escalent. “Measuring environmental dedication is now essential to doing business, as Wall Street investment houses are tying utility environmental stewardship to utilities’ financial performance.”
The industry’s overall Environmental Dedication Index score increases to 676 (on a 1,000-point scale) for Q1, 2020. However, performance varies greatly among the 140 utilities covered in the study, with 24 significantly increasing their scores this year and 20 significantly decreasing. Other findings from the study include:
- Over 52% of utility customers are strong believers in climate change and as a group, they score utilities higher (708) on environmental dedication.
- Gen Z is the most critical of utility environmental performance; scoring utilities lower than other generations on environmental dedication.
- Millennials rate utilities highest on providing “products that help the environment.”
- Only about one in five consumers is aware of his or her utility’s efforts to lessen the environmental impacts of its services.
- About 13% of utility customers say green or net metering rates is their most preferred rate plan.
- Over half of all utility customers nationally are interested in rooftop solar or community solar offerings.
Escalent congratulates the following utilities for being named the 2020 Environmental Champions among 140 of their utility peers in the Cogent Syndicated study. Their customers have scored their performance among the top in the industry on the Environmental Dedication Index.